Tuesday, February 08, 2005

it was a Moment.

Around 5:30 tonight, Jacqui and I were playing on the floor while I was on the phone with my mom. Jacqui pulled herself up into a stand, supported by the perma-gate that blocks the stairs. I honestly wasn't paying much attention to her; she was in my periphery, but I was focused on the telephone conversation.

Until I realized she had one arm stretched toward me while the other kept her supported. "Hold on a sec," I said to my mom, and said to a baby (as well as I could with my heart sitting in my throat), "Are you coming to me?" I held out my hand, but I was about three feet away from her. She took ONE FULL STEP away from the gate, kept standing -- unsupported now! -- and then took my hand with hers for the next three steps.

She gave me the biggest, longest hug ever. She hugged me long enough for my tears to go away, and then while I snuggled her, she gave me a big slobbery kiss on the chin.

That's when I told my mom I'd have to talk to her more later.