Friday, November 05, 2004

baby steps

At the beginning, Geoff worked from home 4 days a week, and life was good. Then he had to start working in the office 3 days a week, and while we wouldn't say that life is no longer good, we might say that life is not quite as good as it once was. On the life-is-perfect scale, it's maybe a 7 now, instead of a 9.

Tonight when Geoff got home, I said the words: "I think maybe I should get in the car, all by myself, and go somewhere, all by myself." And he replied, "This sounds very mysterious." And I reassured him: "It's not really. It's just time for me to do this."

So with a tightness in my chest, I drove to Barnes & Noble, and with the support of several former co-workers as well as my mom who kept me company on my cell-phone, I stayed away for two entire hours. And while I was gone, Geoff played with a baby and fed her dinner and kept her entertained, and she only started to get a little upset once, and he managed to derail that train right quick with an assist from Jake-the-Dog.

I managed to get some holiday shopping done while I was out, and when I got home it was to a smiley baby and a happy Geoffrey and two bouncy puppies, and absolutely no angst whatsoever. Jacqui was ready to nurse, and I was ready for her to do that, and then she fell asleep ... and now she is angelic in her crib, arms akimbo.

It was a good night.